Mini Vinnies is the name for a St Vincent de Paul Group for primary aged children. We get together to organise and talk about helping others in need within our school community of Brighton and Hove. Mini Vinnies’ at Cottesmore meet once a week during lunch time on a Thursday and is run by Mrs Fairbanks. Mini Vinnies make a promise to make a difference in the world by:
• Caring for, respecting and loving myself.
• Strengthening my friendship with Jesus by talking to him each day and talking to others about him.
• Caring for others in my school and community by being a friend to those who are alone, in need or in trouble.
• Making my family happy by my help, respect and showing kindness and consideration.
• Caring for and enjoying God’s world.
• Treating others the way I would like them to treat me.
What happens at a Mini Vinnies’ meeting?
A ‘President’ was elected by all of our Mini Vinnies to lead the meeting and organise the group. Mrs Fairbanks co-ordinates the group and gives help and advice on the practicalities of ideas. The president opens the meeting
• The spiritual leader reads a short reading/ reflection/ piece of music/ mediation follows the prayer.
• Group members then talk about the Mini Vinnies’ activities they have done since the previous meeting. Any future plans are then discussed, shared and actioned.